[ntp:questions] Clock selection in Orphan Mode

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Jul 26 23:46:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-26, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-07-26, <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Mathieu Deltorre wrote:
>>
>>> All is fine: When started ntp daemon on each PCs, after a while, PC2
>>> and PC3 are synchronized to PC1 (LOOP refid). I've seen in html NTP
>>> documentation and in NTP code, that clock selection is based on the
>>> lowest adress IP (adress IP of PC1 in my case).
>>>
>>> First question : Is my undestanding is correct ?
>>
>> Really, references? I doubt it, ...
>> breaker, everything else being equal (which is fairly unlikely).
>
> No, I beleive ...

Reading the documentation might help:

http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p5/assoc.html#orphan

(6th paragraph)

While ordinary NTP clients use a selection metric based on delay and
dispersion, orphan children use a metric computed from the IP address of
each core server. Each orphan child chooses the orphan parent as the
root server with the smallest metric.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>