[ntp:questions] What should the poll be for the shared memory driver (type 28)?

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jun 17 14:24:42 UTC 2013

What should the poll be for the shared memory driver (type 28)?  This
Web page:

   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver28.html

suggests that the driver internally has a poll interval of 1 second,
another document I've seen suggests setting:

   server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 1 prefer

and yet in the ntpq -p billboard the poll is shown as 8 seconds.
Loopstats are reported at 8 second intervals, and the poll interval is
shown as 3 (i.e. 8 seconds).

I'm confused!  What should be the correct setting in the ntp.conf file?

BTW: this comes about from Folkert van Heusden who is using a user-mode
program to make NTP on a Raspberry Pi more precise, i.e. providing PPS
support without having to modify the kernel.  See:

   http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2013-June/077484.html
--
Thanks,
David