[ntp:questions] What should the poll be for the shared memory driver (type 28)?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jun 17 22:05:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-17, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/06/2013 17:36, Steve Kostecke wrote: []
>
>> grepping the source tree is very informative...

[snip: relevant quotes from the NTP Reference Implementation source]

> Thanks, Steve. My knowledge of the source tree is even more limited
> than my knowledge of "C"!

I have no intimate familiarity with the source tree and had to search
for the items I quoted.

> In refclock_shm.c, it does say that the
> "peek" routine is called every second, so if the type 28 driver has an
> internal poll of one second, does it matter what min/max poll is set
> in the ntp.conf file? Does it even need to be set at all?

> Sorry if I'm asking very basic questions, but if I'm going to write a
> small Web page about this I would rather the contents be accurate and,
> if possible, best practice.

Contributing (i.e. embedding and not merely linking) this
article/topic/page to the Community Supported Documentation at
http://support.ntp.org/support is the best way to make this information
useful to the NTP Community.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>