[ntp:questions] step and stepout

Orna Sumszyk orna.sumszyk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 14:59:13 UTC 2013

I write in my ntp.conf file:
tinker step 0.01 stepout 1

David Woolley replied that it seems I do not want an accurate time but a
low offset...
Not really, but I may misunderstand something in the NTP concept...

I only have one NTP server and it is a stratum 0 server in a private
network.
I really need to be less than 10 msec from server time, and if I am above,
I prefer stepping to the time server to immediately adjust my time than
slewing and waiting until I get to the server time.
Do I have something wrong in my NTP understanding?
What should I better do?

Thank you!