[ntp:questions] step and stepout

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Jun 28 23:20:47 UTC 2013

Orna Sumszyk wrote:

> I only have one NTP server and it is a stratum 0 server in a private
> network.

Servers can't have a stratum of less than 1.

> I really need to be less than 10 msec from server time, and if I am above,
> I prefer stepping to the time server to immediately adjust my time than
> slewing and waiting until I get to the server time.
> Do I have something wrong in my NTP understanding?

Any configuration using tinker takes ntpd out of specification.

> What should I better do?

Work out why you are getting higher offsets than you would like and
either correct the underlying problem, or, if they are the result of
propagation delay variations, or interrupt latency variations, just
ignore them, as ntpd is already largely ignoring them.

If the LAN is poor enough that ntpd's smoothing is not enough, consider
running PPS, from a common source, to both machines.