[ntp:questions] Extracting ntpq like information programmatically

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 30 06:55:03 UTC 2013

On 28/03/2013 18:16, Claudio Carbone wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm new to NTP and my needs aren't really rooted in the mechanism of
> synchronization and time seeding.
[]
> Thank you very much.
> Best regards
>
> Claudio

Claudio,

I offer you three monitoring techniques - two programs and MRTG.  The
programs are listed here:

NTP Monitor:  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPmonitor
Can be run against a batch of PCs on your network to plot the offset and
view it as hands on a clock.  Useful for real-time monitoring.

NTP Plotter: http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPplotter
Read the statistics which NTP can generate and plots them over a
user-defined period. Useful for tuning NTP to see how changes affect
jitter etc.

I monitor my own clocks with MRTG, with the results as show here:
   http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

Details are here:
   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTPandMRTG.html

There is also Meinberg's NTP Time Server Monitor program:
   http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp-server-monitor.htm

Perhaps one of these will meet your needs without extra software being
written?
--
Cheers,
David