[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP client continuously resync to server

Sat May 18 01:42:06 UTC 2013

On 5/17/2013 3:42 PM, renoandy775 at gmail.com wrote:> I am
> using the Meinberg ntpd 4.2.4 deamon to syncronize a client
> pc to another server pc on my network.  The client time
> cannot be trusted.
> The problem I am having is that if the client time drifts
> out too far as a result of a network loss, it does not
> appear to resync and correct its clock to conform to the
> server's true time.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure this application to have
> the client always bust and update its clock to lock onto the
> NTP server ?
>

> On 5/17/2013 3:56 PM, Andy Munoz wrote:> I am using the
> Meinberg ntpd 4.2.4 deamon to syncronize a client pc to
> another server pc on my network.  The client time cannot be
> trusted.
>  The problem I am having is that if the client time drifts
> out too far as a result of a network loss, it does not
> appear to resync and correct its clock to conform to the
> server's true time.

If the time drifts too far out in something less than days,
 your PC probably counts as broken.

On the other hand if your ntp.conf contains
 the 127.127.1.u Undisciplined Local Clock (LOCAL)
 defined, perhaps that is your issue.

ntpd.exe -U 3 -M -g
# Start ntpd with -g, the -g will prevent a panic stop if the time needs to be stepped when started
# ntp.conf for ALL (Clients and/or Servers)
tos cohort 1 orphan 11
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict source nomodify
keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M LAN_MD5_KEY , 321 M Corp_MD5_KEY , ...
trustedkey 123 321
manycastserver  224.0.1.1
manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient
# pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt
# pool time.windows.com iburst preempt
server ntp.net.igt.com key 123 iburst preempt prefer  #(Whatever YOUR server host name is)
server 192.168.1.23 key 123 iburst prefer #(or Whatever YOUR server IP is)

You might also want to update from 4.2.4p8 (Dec 2009) or 4.2.6p5 (Dec 2011)
 to a more recent 4.2.7 version (2013),
 e.g. <http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.2.7p368.tar.gz>

  will be added to the BlackLists.