[ntp:questions] Offset is always increasing

Riccardo Castellani ric.castellani at alice.it
Fri May 24 04:02:30 UTC 2013

> ntpd probably never touches it. What is the time on the file ls -lga
> <driftfile>
I think it's impossible, yesterday I reset file content.

> Did you see me suggesting that you plot the stuff from your log files?
> Look at /var/log/ntp/loopstats and peerstats.
> from the forvmer get the drift correction. From the latter the offsets
> Plot them to see what is happening. History is important, despite the
> design philosophy of ntpd.

I'm using HP-UX so I cannot see /var/log/ntp/loopstats and peerstats,
I can see only log file which I defined into ntp.conf.
Does it exist tool which read log and plot it ?

What do you think to remove these 3 lines from all ntp servers how other ntp
technicians are suggesting me ?

 server 127.127.1.0
 fudge 127.127.1.0
 restrict 127.127.1.0 mask 255.255.255.255