[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:10:11 UTC 2013

> How did you "store" on a read only partition. read only means that
> partition cannot be written to and thus cannot "store" anything.

I have the root privilege. I remounted the RO partition as RW, made my amendments and remounted as RO.

> >     server 127.127.1.0
>
> Completely lunatic. You do NOT use the local refclock ever. (And if you
> know that that statement may have some exceptions, you may know enough
> to use it, but even then probably not).

Ok. As I said above, someone from another forum suggested me to add that!

> What servers are those? You should NOT be using fixed addresses unless
> you personally control them.

This server does not have DNS capabilities and I cannot change it unfortunately. I know that I should not use fixed addresses, but I cannot change it.

 >     restrict 127.0.0.1
> >     restrict 130.1.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify
>
> And those lines are there why?

I believe 130.1.1.1 is a secure device connected to the server. Why the NTP is restricted to that device I'm not sure.

Am I correct in saying that "restrict" prevents other servers from using this server as NTP server?

> >     tos orphan 4
> >     driftfile /status/etc/ntp/ntp.drift
> >     logfile /var/log/ntp.log
> >     multicastclient
> >     broadcastdelay 0.008
> >     enable monitor
>
> > Some of the parameters were on the factory configurations, so I left them. Like the broadcastdelay.
> > 130.1.1.1 is a secure device which pools the time from the server.
>
> ??? that means what?

Not sure what you're asking. 130.1.1.1 is a device connected to the server which has its own "secure clock" and as such has to sync to something. I understand that it pools the time from the server itself.

> OK. Your system is badly broken. It is impossible for ntp to discipline
> it. You have to figure out why your hardware is broken before you try to
> use ntpd.

As mentioned above, it's a Supermicro server board. The same server synced properly over the last 2-3 weeks, then I rebooted it and this is the result..

What would you suggest to verify the system clock?

> > This server synced perfectly for the last 2 weeks with the same exact configuration.
>
> Well, it is broken now. Is it a virtual server?

No.

> > Could someone please help? I can add a forth server if needed, I also understand that it would be recommended to use the iburst parameter.
>
> Forth is not a language in much use anymore (not that it eer was:-)

sorry! :)

> Nothing you can do can save you except fixing your hardware.

Well, looks like these servers are experiencing this problem. They're all Supermicro based, is it possible that Supermicro boards have these issues? There may be something I don't know which happens in background, is there a way I can monitor the HW clock to verify the issue?

Or, is there a way I can setup NTP to be more elastic and step the clock more often without asking too many questions? :)

Thanks for your help!

Antonio