[ntp:questions] Fw: Authenticated ntp server

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Nov 19 01:22:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-18, Shreyas Ambokar <shreyas.ambokar at tcs.com> wrote:
> Dear Team,
>
> We are using pool.ntp.org as ntp server for environment.
> We would like to avail the authenticated ntp services to connect to the
> ntp server.
> Kindly provide us the security key for ntp server.

There is none. pool is not a server. It is a huge list of servers with
the DNS set up so one of that huge list is selected at random whenever
queried. Thus there is no "server". There are servers, supplied by
anyone who registers their machine as a server

> Regards
> Shreyas Ambokar
> and any attachments. Thank you

This is so so stupid, and is legally completely counterproductive. All
anyone that "misuses" anything you send them has to do is to point to
this use in a newnet post to show that you regard this disclaimer as a
joke and it is not to taken seriously. (And you claim to take security
seriously? Sheesh.)