[ntp:questions] how did ntp service set the maxallowphaseoffset

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Tue Nov 19 23:59:00 UTC 2013

On 19/11/13 09:06, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2013-11-19 00:55, David Woolley wrote:
>> On 19/11/13 06:05, xiaoniao112233 at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>>     But I have a question,how can I set this value,I just use it in a
>>> LAN to Synchonize the time in the LAN.So is that a stand-alone
>>> clients and servers.If it is ,which command should I use to change
>>> this value in LINUX OS.
>>>

>> In /etc/ntpd.conf, or whatever your OS calls that file.
>>
>> Note that ntpd was not really designed for use without a reference clock.
> ...at the top of the network time hierarchy: stratum 1.
> It was designed for use with local and remote network time servers at all
> lower stratum levels; evident in the default control settings.

It was designed for use with local secondary servers (and physically
local reference clock driven ones).  As I understand it, though, the
local clock driver was first introduced as a mechanism for distributing
time introduced from a stratum 0 source but bypassing ntpd and going
direct to the OS.  Use as a don't invalidate the downstream time hack, I
think, came later.

The most important thing, though, is there should be only one ultimate
source of time for any ntpd network.  Having two free running candidates
is a recipe for disaster.

>> If you are careful, you can do so, but it is easy to create
>> configurations
>> that behave badly.
> ...and hard to create good configurations without reading and understanding
> the docs, sometimes the code, and possibly also the book.

But no-one does; they just use the cookbook solutions in the packages.