[ntp:questions] Is a doubling of I/O bytes expected for NTP over Wi-Fi?

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Nov 26 13:02:39 UTC 2013

On 26/11/2013 12:17, Rob wrote:
[]
> On the receive side there is also broadcast traffic.  This includes
> both the usual 255.255.255.255 and subnet-broadcast traffic and the ARP
> requests, DHCP requests, etc seen on the network.
>
> On a larger network this can be considerably higher than what you see.

I think you were 100% right, Rob.  Stopping NTP did reduce the outgoing
traffic a lot, but had very little effect on the incoming.  Checking my
network has about 23 active devices, with about 8 hard-wired, so given
the same level of background traffic it would be about double on the
Wi-Fi side of the network compared to the LAN.

Thanks for making me think to check this more thoroughly!
--
Cheers,
David