[ntp:questions] NTPD silently not tracking

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun Sep 1 11:10:08 UTC 2013

Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
> news:n5lUt.340835$QT4.176258 at fx22.iad...
>> On 2013-08-31, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
>>   <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>  perhaps it has already been fixed in a more recent version.
>>
>> Sorry, but I have always found this to be a complete copout. You can
>> keep the complainer busy till doomsday trying out different version and
>> different configs. Do you know that others have had this person's
>> problem? Do you know thatthe latest version fixes them? Otherwise you
>> are simply sending him on a fishing expidition.
>
> As a developer (not NTP) myself, I don't react well to people
> complaining about bugs I've already solved, just not in the version
> they have. So the first reply is always going to be 'upgrade, and see
> if it goes away.' Especially with things like NTP, if it goes away, the
> problem is solved.
>
> Even if you're not sure, you try this first. Plain common sense, and
> common courtesy. No fishing expedition, just a one-time upgrade and if
> the problem stays we go to work.
>
> Groetjes,
> Maarten Wiltink

Like "unruh", I hate developers and companies with this attitude.
When there is no reason to believe that a particular problem is solved
in a later release, it is just annoying when the suggestion from
support departments is to first install the latest version and see
if that fixes it.  It is just a way to wave off the initial complaint
and to keep others busy.

What is even worse: when people report an issue and it goes on a bug
registration system (e.g. bugzilla), and after some time has elapsed a
person marks all open bugs with remarks like "we have not heard about
you for a while, please install latest version maybe it was fixed".
As if that many bugs are fixed by accident.  Sometimes it even happens
with feature requests.

Also remember that it is not always straightforward to upgrade a
program.  People often install ntpd as part of an OS (Linux) distribution,
and it is integrated into the system by their distributor.
Getting a newer version compiled from scratch and replacing the integrated
version can be a major and risky operation, especially for someone not
proficient in such tasks.