[ntp:questions] NTPD silently not tracking

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Sun Sep 1 15:56:08 UTC 2013

"Rob" <nomail at example.com> wrote in message
news:slrnl2684g.6em.nomail at xs8.xs4all.nl...
[...]
> Like "unruh", I hate developers and companies with this attitude.

Well, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. For the record, I have no
particular dislike for you.

> When there is no reason to believe that a particular problem is solved
> in a later release, it is just annoying when the suggestion from
> support departments is to first install the latest version and see
> if that fixes it.  It is just a way to wave off the initial complaint
> and to keep others busy.

I don't think that's it. It's just a sanity check. Development is
always going to be in the most recent version. That's where the bug
is going to be fixed. If the bug isn't in it anymore, you can solve
your problem by upgrading. In that case, we all profit from work
already done.

Every place I've worked, we will also try to reproduce it on our own,
in the latest version. But reproducing an NTP bug is often far more
difficult than with most business software.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink