[ntp:questions] GPS/PPS and "enable calibrate"

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Sep 7 23:45:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-07, Horvath Bob-BHORVAT1 <Bob.Horvath at motorolasolutions.com> wrote:

> [...]

Teh PPS occurs at the second. The nmea labels those seconds so you know
which second the PPS occured on. But the nmea sentences occur late by
something like .1 to .6 (or occasionally with a defective GPS 18x, by
1.1 sec) Now you can tell your computer that the nmea occurs say .4 sec
late. so that its idea of when the nmea sentece comes through is not on
the second but on the second plus .4 sec. It does not really matter,
because as long as that labeling is withing 1 sec, ntpd will use PPS to
determine when the second occured, that the nmea to say which second
that was.
Ie, if you use PPS that fudging does nothing about the time your
computer shows. So unless your GPS is way out, that parameter is
irrelevant.
If your PPS is not working, then you make your clock accurate to about
.1 sec by using that parameter, rather than .4 sec late.