[ntp:questions] Trying to use Dimension 4 time keeper

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Sun Sep 8 17:51:25 UTC 2013

On 9/7/2013 9:16 PM, David Taylor wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 22:38, W. eWatson wrote:
>> I'm told that Dimension 4 is an accurate time keeper.
>> <http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/> I downloaded it and installed it.
>> It's freeware, but would appreciate a $10 donation. Oddly it comes w/o
>> any description to use it. Am I missing something? I'm running it on my
>> XP machine. Nothing is said about an OS.
>>
>> Out of curiosity I installed it on this Win7 PC. It acts like my XP
>> install. That is, it has no useful help, what to do is not obvious.
>
> There are instructions for installing NTP here:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
That's a daunting install process. See my comments about Meinberg below.

> Why would you want to install NTP rather than Dimension 4, or the
> Windows own time service?  See:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html#why
My XP machine quickly loses accuracy. BTW, it needs to be pretty
accurate, since I have a science application that runs on it 7/24. The
XP is on a LAN of three PCs. Two are on Win7 in my den. The XP PC is in
a building 120' from where I am now. The XP PC Data from the app is
uploaded every day to a distant location, and saved in a DB. 1,000 miles
from me here in N. Calif.

I tried Meinberg for quite some time, but it flops fairly often. As I
recall, my Meinberg software was not nearly as involved as shown in the
link above.  Given the XP is outside, I don't often go out there to
check the time against an atomic clock. Consequently the data becomes
erroneous.