[ntp:questions] GPS/PPS and "enable calibrate"

Horvath Bob-BHORVAT1 Bob.Horvath at motorolasolutions.com
Sun Sep 8 22:32:17 UTC 2013

Thanks to you and all the others in this thread.

I think what originally got me confused was I originally had my PPS wired wrong, so I WAS using the GPS time signal which was off compared to the servers from the NTP pool and various values got me close.   Then once I fixed the PPS, I didn't realize the fudge factor wasn't really contributing any more, and was focused on getting it "right".

Assuming I finally get it, the only scenario in which it would be useful to get it "right" would be if I lost PPS, and had no other source of "time of day" with an accurate second other than the NMEA strings.