[ntp:questions] Standalone Windows XP/7 Machine Needs to Serve NTP

nospam.swstadel at gmail.com nospam.swstadel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 16:20:12 UTC 2013

I have a standalone network that can have no connection to the internet.  It is a small network, with one Windows XP or Windows 7 laptop, and several Linux devices all connected through a switch.

The Windows machine needs to have the Linux devices stay on the same time as it.  Accuracy to within about 100 ms is needed.

I cannot add hardware, such as Rubidium clocks, GPS receivers, etc.

I have a software application that will occasionally set the PC clock on the Laptop.  The Linux devices must have the same time.

I thought there would be a simple solution (and maybe there is) using w32time, but the literature I've seen seems to indicate that w32time won't work down to better than 1 second or so.  I wonder if this is strictly true in a situation like mine.  If w32time can be used, it seems like the AnnounceFlags should be set to 0x5, but I wonder how it will work.

Any thoughts?