[ntp:questions] Trying to use Dimension 4 time keeper

Tue Sep 10 02:22:04 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-08 23:22, unruh wrote:
> On 2013-09-09, Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSw.ab.ca> wrote:
>>
>> You may want to try the latest stable NTP release 4.2.6p5 from Meinberg, for
>> ease of installation, on all three of your systems.
>> With stable connections and remote NTP servers it should get your time offset
>> within 100ms in a few hours, and within a few ms (or better depending on your
>> network and sources) over a period of about three weeks, and the drift within
>> PPB of your hardware clock over that period.
>
> ntpd is slow but not that bad. a few ms in a couple of hours. It is us
> levels that tend to take a half day or so.

We are talking about Windows here with remote network servers, not ref clocks,
not Linux or BSD with kernel time discipline.
It takes that long on Windows (7 64 bit) with current stable ntpd and a server
selection which does not clock hop very much. I have a year of stats and graphs
showing that. But that is much better than previous stable (which the OP is
currently running) where the drift wandered +/-250ppB and the offset stayed
around the 10ms range.