[ntp:questions] which servers should be peers?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Wed Sep 18 13:27:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-18, Charles Elliott <elliott.ch at verizon.net> wrote:

> IMHO, you don't want 15 servers; you want 9.  You could start out with 15
> and ntpd will mark the ones it finds lacking with a #.  After a few days
> you could then whittle the list down to 9 based on the ones most
> frequently marked with a #.  I am fairly sure ntpd only uses 9 servers
> in its final filtering and smoothing algorithms.

Why not let ntpd pick the survivors rather than attempting to manually
cherry pick?

> I would and do use stratum 2 servers.  At least in the U.S., the
> stratum 1 servers are so heavily overloaded that at the end of the
> day you will have more accurate time with stratum 2.

The OP is deploying their own stratum 1 and stratum 2 time servers.

> This is highly controversial, and many on this list will say its
> abusive, but I use the iburst keyword

'iburst' is _not_ considered abusive because it only multiplies the
initial poll when a time server becomes reachable.

'burst' _is_ considered abusive because it multiplies (i.e. causes a
burst at) each poll.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>