[ntp:questions] which servers should be peers?

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Wed Sep 18 17:07:51 UTC 2013

Le 18 sept. 2013 à 17:17, Maria Iano a écrit :

> Thank you for your responses! An example of what I'm trying to be able to weather with no problems is something like this.
>
> Suddenly all four of our stratum 1 servers, due to some software glitch because they are all the same appliance, start saying it is some identical time in 1982. Of the 12 stratum 2 linux servers, two or three of them are unavailable due to network outage or other problems. The remaining 13 or 14 stratum 2 servers are all functioning normally and are reachable.
>
> Am I going to be able to weather that? If ntpd can really only pay attention to 9 peers, it sounds like I may not be able to. Below these servers are hierarchies of AD servers and clients, networking equipment, and a variety of other servers that point to the stratum 1 servers currently and which will be reconfigured to point to the stratum 2 ones once complete. These are the systems that I would like to have the correct time throughout such a crisis.
>
> Our stratum 1 servers can handle the load, so should I continue to have everything point to the stratum 1 as well as the stratum 2s.

Maria,
 I would be inclined to simply point each S2 server to an S1 in all centers, and  an S2 in all centers. If any or all the S1s start serving rubbish, they will be declared false tickers and the remaining S2s will form an acceptable service with the server with the most stable clock being selected.   Clients could do the same. However, in this worst case, unless you have some backup that can be traced to UTC (for example having your S2 farm having an access to the pool), then all your client / server farm will inevitably drift from legal time until you replace the defective S1s.
Mike