[ntp:questions] R: Re: debugging strange ntp in virtual environment

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Sep 19 19:49:49 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-19, Horvath Bob-BHORVAT1 <Bob.Horvath at motorolasolutions.com> wrote:

> [...]

Why why why would you want to do that? It is simply nuts.

>> The machine still providers good time.  It is still synchronized to time
>> sources on the network as it was before, and it still provides time to other
>> servers and clients on the local network.  Servers are other virtual servers
>> on the same ESX hosts.  Loading of the origin time servers is the same.

It seems to now, and then that machine becomes loaded, with one of the
other virtual machine taking up loads of time, and suddenly your time
has gone to hell. This is how you want a server to behave?
Sure it works since you test it on a lightly loaded machine where each
OS gets approximately the same amount of time.