[ntp:questions] which servers should be peers?

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Fri Sep 20 10:30:52 UTC 2013

In my experience, s2 servers are less used and hence less congested than
s1 servers.  But the best advice is that given to carpenters: "Measure
twice;
cut once."

1. Find a number (you once wrote 15) of the closest servers to your location
from here (http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers)
and
here (http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers).

2. Set up the ntp.conf file to enable statistics.  The statistics files are
   documented here (D:\Program Files\NTP\doc\HTML\monopt.html).
   Here are the commands I use:
enable stats
statsdir "X:\NTPStats\"
statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen peerstats type week
filegen loopstats type week
filegen clockstats type week

3. Don't fiddle with the system for a week, Sunday thru Saturday.

4. Select some criterion of excellence, such as lowest mean jitter or
   offset.

5. Using the peerstats file compute your criteria of excellence for
   each external server.

6. The 9 servers with the best showing on your criterion of excellence
   may be the servers to use.

7.  Be aware that things change all the time: servers come and go, shit
happens.

Charles Elliott