[ntp:questions] ntpd access restrictions: Server allowed works only with ipaddress

Tue Apr 1 18:30:13 UTC 2014

On 3/28/2014 1:50 AM, Witt, Stefan wrote:
> Hello, looking for an answer of the following misbehaviour:
>
> Server entries are only valid and accepted if I use ip-address
>  and not if I user fqdn of the timeserver1/2!
> Resolving of Timeserver-fqdn is successful!
>
> Do anybody have an explanation of this unexpected behavior?
>
> the ntp.conf looks quite like that:
>
> restrict 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 nomodify nopeer

# try adding restrict source,
#  necessary if the fqdn is a pool (returns more than one IP Address)

restrict source nomodify notrap noquery

> server 127.127.1.1
> fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 5

# Try orphan instead;
#  Orphan will likely behave less broken less often than Local 127.127.1 ends up

tos cohort 1 orphan 11

> ### internal timeserver:
> ##server fqdn-timeserver1 prefer
> ##server fqdn-timeserver2

# Also try pool instead of server?

pool fqdn-timeserver1 iburst preempt #prefer
pool fqdn-timeserver1 iburst preempt
pool pool.ntp.org iburst preempt

> # internal  timeserver:
> server <ipv4-adress-timeserver1> prefer
> server <ipv4-adress-timeserver2>

# try adding manycast / multicast for easier LAN client / server support?

keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M YOUR_MD5_KEY
trustedkey 123

manycastserver 224.0.1.1
manycastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
broadcastclient

  will be added to the BlackLists.