[ntp:questions] PPS problem

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Apr 4 13:17:47 UTC 2014

> Why not?  You really want to as the network entries
> will do iburst and get selected before your refclock
> does and force some clock stepping before settling down.
> I usually use maxpoll 4 as well.  The decreased jitter
> in the local signal makes higher poll rates both valid
> and useful.

Greg, you are right. All the documentation I read before just said iburst sent "packets in rapid succession", but made no mention of
how fast they were sent. I just assumed multiple packets within a second (for a network, why would it matter?). However, after
digging around further I finally found a document that mentioned that a packet is sent about every two seconds.

My thinking previously was that it would do little to poll a local device that only output information once per second.

Learn something new every day.... ;)

Jason