[ntp:questions] Frequency adjustments in a local network

Maximilian Brehm maximilian.brehm at tu-ilmenau.de
Mon Apr 7 09:43:16 UTC 2014

David Woolley schrieb:
> On 04/04/14 12:44, Maximilian Brehm wrote:
>> Are there ways to achieve this using NTP that are implemented
>>>or may be implemented? If yes, can you recommend me starting points for
>>>either way?
>
> I guess you could treat the reference system as a PPS source, but
> there is still the problem that PPS assumes that the pulses are on the
> absolute time seconds not at a variable and drifting offset from them.

Is a PPS signal not supplied via a hardware link? How would I simulate
the signal using the received timestamps?

I believe I read somewhere that there are PPS systems that do not
supply a timestamp and an external NTP server has to be used to
synchronize time. Couldn't the implemention just ignore the timestamps?