[ntp:questions] server and peer lines correct?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 19:16:20 UTC 2014

Hi--

On Apr 7, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> Charles Swiger writes:
>> For a given S2 server, say NTP1, I'd recommend:
>>
>> server S1-1 iburst prefer
>> server S1-2
>> server S1-3
>> server S1-4
>> server _some_outside_box_
>> peer NTP2
>> peer NTP3
>
> Why would you not want to iburst all of the servers?

Let me answer that separately.

> How do you select which server to prefer?

Absent any detailed knowledge of the stratum-1 servers, network topology, etc, I'd simply map them:

NTP1 prefers S1-1; NTP2 prefers S1-2; NTP3 prefers S1-3, and they all peer with each other.
Each of the stratum-2s will have a different preferred stratum-1 so they have maximum diversity of upstream sources.

Regards,
--
-Chuck