[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Tue Apr 8 20:28:24 UTC 2014

On 08.04.2014 20:30, questions-request at lists.ntp.org digested:
> From: Arthur Lambert <lambertarthur22 at gmail.com>
>
> Hi David,
>
> I don't get your point. You know that we can live just with fire ? Why do
> we invent electricity....  And computer ? This is exactly the same here. I
> change the channel on my tv, I dont want to reboot it to get the new tv
> channel.... It's worked ok but it a very strange choice of architecture.
>
> But I can guess with your answer that I cannot handle modification on my
> ntp conf without restart it. I will try to patch it to get it work with my
> need.

As Paul already noted, there *are* mechanisms to change aspects of the
configuration during runtime, but they've gotten *quite* disparate from
the effects that a restart with a changed config file has, up to and
including downright missing functionality. In other words, you *do* have
an interest to check whether the changed config file does work as
expected while you're still sitting there with the editor at hand.

Or else, to stay in your analogy, you might find that your TV happily
changed channels for years on end, but flat out fails to turn on after a
power failure (or OS update, or ...) finally "rebooted" it for you.

>From a theoretical point of view, restarting ntpd on a single server
will force it to drop its "working" stratum and associations for a
while, but its system clock should continue to be fine-tuned according
to the latest results (loaded from the drift file) with virtually no
interruption. That shouldn't be a problem unless other hosts sync
against that one - in which case having more than one local server for
your clients would be the proper fix.

There's no genuine advantage (caches loaded, more statistic

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel