[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

Wed Apr 9 03:34:25 UTC 2014

---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
>> I am currently using ntpd for my project.
>>  My need is to be able to use new ntp url when I put a
>>   new url in ntp.conf even if the ntp daemon is already running.
>>  Currently, I need to kill and reboot ntpd to be able to
>>   use the new ntp url set in my configuration file.
>>  i guess that my solution right now is to start ntpd in a
>>   hat process to be able to restart it if I detect a change
>>   in ntp conf file.
>>
>> Do I have really to restart ntpd to see new ntp url ?
>> I tried to check option on ntpd to find a way to handle
>>  this case but I am not able to see this feature in the
>>  current implementation of ntpd

You would likely need to use a fairly bleeding edge Dev Release.
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-dev/>
<http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-dev/>
e.g. Development  4.2.7p439  2014/04/03
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.2.7p439.tar.gz>
<http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.2.7p439.tar.gz>

> I believe you can tell ntpd anthing that ntp.conf would by using ntpq.

:config

> I do not believe that there is a way of telling it to reread the .conf
> file.

config-from-file filename

 I haven't tried either (yet).

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html>
or e.g. {In the case of the dev ver I last downloaded}
<ntp-dev-4.2.7p418/html/ntpq.html> See: Control-Message-Commands
<ntp-dev-4.2.7p418/ntpq/ntpq.html#Control-Message-Commands>

  will be added to the BlackLists.