[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Wed Apr 9 10:34:42 UTC 2014

Arthur Lambert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for all your answer.
>
> So in fact Jochen, even if I need for some reason to handle dynamic
> change on ntp.conf, you are telling me that it is cleaner and better
> to restart the daemon ?
>
> I am currently putting some modification in my ntp conf file thanks to
> tr69 protocols. Moreover due to security constraints it is very hard
> for me to restart the ntp daemon.. It is quite strange that noone try
> to patch ntp daemon to handle runtime modification on ntp conf.
>
> I also tried to use confi-from-file feature from ntpq without success.
> I add a ntp url in my ntp conf and run ntpq -c config-from-file
> /etc/ntp.conf. Then I am not able to see my new ntp url by running
> ntpq -p command.

Hi

I've just tried adding an extra server using config-from-file
(ntp-dev-4.2.7p439 NetBSD-6)

ntpq>
config-from-file ntp.conf_add.2014040901
Sending configurstion file, one line at a time.
Keyid: 1
MD5 Password:
Line No: 1 Config Succeeded: server -4 xxx.xxxxx.xx.xx minpoll 8 maxpoll
10 iburst
Done sending file
ntpq> quit

ntpq -p shows the added server

  remote          refid         st t    poll reach  delay offset jitter
+xxx.xxxxx.xx.xx xxxxxxxxxxxxx  2 u 193 256     7 22.334  2.349  0.113

David