[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Apr 9 17:26:35 UTC 2014

Arthur Lambert <lambertarthur22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> I know that my question can be stupid but I am not very familiar with
> open source project. If tomorrow someone decides to develop a feature
> on ntp. Who can decide if the feature will be integrated to the trunk
> of the project ? People have to convince the main guys of the projects
> ?

It depends on the actual project at hand, but usually there are some
core developers who decide what patches will be accepted.
When this would not be the case, the result would quickly be a big mess.

Of course when you develop the software for your embedded device, you
can always decide to solve the problem for yourself.  When you put
the patches (sources) somewhere on a website or mail them to anyone
who asks, there is nothing that can go wrong.  When you only use the
binaries inside an organisation and not distribute them (either as
software or embedded in a device you distribute) you don't even have
to do that.

> So I will use the above method to handle my runtime modification. If I
> find free time to handle SIGHUP and if I am able to write a proper
> code to do it, I will share my changes in this topic.

That would be very nice.
However, don't be disappointed when somehow refuses to add them to
the standard distributed version.  I think many users would welcome
them very much, but that does not mean the lead developers do.
They often have very expressed opinions on things they did not come
up with themselves.