[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Apr 10 08:09:42 UTC 2014

Amongst the many reasons why we did not let SIGHUP restart the daemon
was that back in the old days we used modem drivers a lot more often.
The HUP signal was generic - it was not really associated with any
specific device.

It looks like that code is now gone from the distribution, but there are
still a few places in the code (lib/isc/unix/app.c and
libntp/work_fork.c) that would need to be looked at.

Additionally, on non-windows platforms somebody would have to look at
SIGDIE1.