[ntp:questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Apr 14 09:33:23 UTC 2014

On 13/04/14 08:40, Mimiko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm running a ntpd service on a local server for time synchronization of
> all servers and workstations. Ntpd works fine, synchronizing linux and
> windows. The problem is that hw clock of the time server is not
> synchronized periodically and it is not in sync. So in case of server
> restart, ntpd sees a big time difference and stops.

This is something that is done by the operating system (e.g. every 11
minutes in Linux, or by cron jobs in some other systems), not by ntpd.
Some people object to this behaviour in Linux because it prevents the
effective use of hwtime to correct RTC frequency.

As such, the identity of the OS is important in answering the question.