[ntp:questions] NTP.log interpretation

GregL greg.leibfried at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 19:25:13 UTC 2014

> > Yes, clearly the root of the most recent problem was a faulty
> configuration
> > that allowed our internal time servers to grow to nearly 50 seconds apart
> > at some point....and that wreaked havoc in many many areas.
>
> What was causing that. Clearly one, or both, are not getting their time
> from proper servers themselves. In you post there seemed to be a hint
> that one of your servers was getting its time from the other. That is
> bad idea. It is no better than having just one server.

Yes.  From what I understand, one of the servers that serves as a time
server as was rebuilt in January and the ntpd configuration was not put
back on.  It was an oversight.  Because of other services that run there,
that server *should* have kept in sync with the other server, but that sync
didn't appear to happen either.

Clearly a bad situation.  That is corrected now, with both internal time
servers independently configured to go to a external pool of NTP servers.
That is more of the "correct the problem" fix;  as a matter of looking at
the big picture, we are just trying to determine any other changes we
should make.   Building more dedicated time servers that aren't rebooted
weekly is one thing I will lobby for ;-)

I'm certainly learning more ;-)

--Greg