[ntp:questions] NTP.log interpretation

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Fri Apr 18 20:15:38 UTC 2014

On 18.04.2014 20:45, questions-request at lists.ntp.org digested:
> From: GregL <greg.leibfried at gmail.com>
>
> > > What about the idea of going to only one entry, but that entry is
> > > served by a DNS load balancer to choose one of two internal time
> > > servers to check.
> >
> > Well, that will [...]
>
> I'm wrestling with that very question.  With 100+ systems, we have a far
> greater problem if some systems are *off* and others are not.

Am I missing something, or will the setup described above (and assuming
that the two servers disagree again) *force* your clients to do what you
just called "the far greater problem"? Namely, being randomly split
50/50 between the two servers, not even *knowing* of the other one?

(FWIW, ntpd does the DNS resolution *once* when loading its config and
works with the one IP obtained from then on, plans of implementing
automatic rotation/selection of "pool" servers in future versions
notwithstanding. And having potentially disagreeing NTP servers put
behind a V*IP* load balancer is discouraged as well.)

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel