[ntp:questions] questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sat Apr 19 17:27:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-19, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Op 15 apr. 2014, om 08:32 heeft David Taylor
><david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On 15/04/2014 07:24, William Unruh wrote:
>> []
>>> No, I meant that Windows at least did (pre Win7?) use local time as
>>> system time.
>>> And I seem to recall that even now it can use localtime as systemtime.
>>> But I do not run Windows so cannot test anything.
>
> This is what I had to deal with, so a standard installation of Windows
> certainly does not use UTC:
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-x=
>=========================
>
> I was waiting for your question to appear on the NNTP newsgroup, but it did
> not, at least on my server.
>
> Windows NT and later use UTC internally, which is what I wrote.  You are
> quite correct that the BIOS time is usually in wall-clock time, and that
> different operating systems will handle that problem differently.  There
> have been reports that Windows can use a BIOS clock in UTC, but I've never
> tried that myself.  I don't know whether OS-X has the option to use
> wall-clock time for the BIOS - it would be helpful if it did!

Why in the world would that be helpful? Wall clock time changes when you
move or travel. Wall clock changes twice a year at DST transitions. It
is a silly thing to have anything on the computer running in. The
Unix/linux/... way of having time interfaces doing the translations are
far more useful. (Or did you mistype?)