[ntp:questions] questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

Jos van de Ven antispam at vdven.org
Sat Apr 19 21:40:00 UTC 2014

Op 19 apr. 2014, om 17:30 heeft David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> het volgende geschreven:

> Op 15 apr. 2014, om 08:32 heeft David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> On 15/04/2014 07:24, William Unruh wrote:
>> []
>>> No, I meant that Windows at least did (pre Win7?) use local time as
>>> system time.
>>> And I seem to recall that even now it can use localtime as systemtime.
>>> But I do not run Windows so cannot test anything.
>
> This is what I had to deal with, so a standard installation of Windows certainly does not use UTC:
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-x=
>
> I was waiting for your question to appear on the NNTP newsgroup, but it did not, at least on my server.
>
> Windows NT and later use UTC internally, which is what I wrote.  You are quite correct that the BIOS time is usually in wall-clock time, and that different operating systems will handle that problem differently.  There have been reports that Windows can use a BIOS clock in UTC, but I've never tried that myself.  I don't know whether OS-X has the option to use wall-clock time for the BIOS - it would be helpful if it did!

David,

The message was rejected because I used a wrong sender address.

The registry key is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
And then add a DWORD (32bit) value and name it RealTimeIsUniversal with a value of 1
It should be working with windows 8 also, but I don’t use that.

It is advised to set this key on dual boot systems with linux or osx. OSX doesn’t have the option to set the clock to localtime AFAIK.