[ntp:questions] NTP.log interpretation

GregL greg.leibfried at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:14:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Jason Rabel
<jason at extremeoverclocking.com>wrote:

> Greg,
>
> As others have suggested, any client running NTP should point to *at
> least* 3 time sources (usually ~5 is preferred)... The reason
> being if one server goes wacko, but the other two agree, then the client
> knows to X out the bad one and keep the two others. With
> only two you are essentially just flipping a coin...
>
> I do not know where you are located, but if you are serving time to 100+
> clients, you should probably consider the "pool" servers as
> backup sources and look more into finding local public stratum 1 & 2
> servers:
>
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers
>
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumTwoTimeServers
>
> NTP uses very very very little bandwidth, it's one small UDP packet (less
> than 128 bytes) that (assuming default configuration)
> works its way up to once every 17 minute... There's no reason to be stingy
> with selecting a handful of external internet time
> servers (unless company policy prohibits it).

I really do appreciate all the responses to my questions.  I would like to
give this the proper respect it deserves and evaluate some best practices
with respect to time synchronization across our enterprise systems.  I
would rather make configuration changes once, than have to go back and
change them.

Currently, while I mentioned that there are two servers serving time...I
did not mention that they are windows domain controllers.  I think that may
add other factors that need to be considered as well.  This is an
environment that I'm getting up to speed on over the last 6 months.

The more I learn, the more I see how much I don't know ;-)   But knowing
what I don't know is better than not knowing ;-)  I think ;-)

-gregl

Greg Leibfried
*email is preferred
*leave txt/voice msg at:  507.722.1151