[ntp:questions] NTP.log interpretation

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Mon Apr 21 01:29:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-21, GregL <greg.leibfried at gmail.com> wrote:

> I really do appreciate all the responses to my questions.  I would like to
> give this the proper respect it deserves and evaluate some best practices
> with respect to time synchronization across our enterprise systems.  I
> would rather make configuration changes once, than have to go back and
> change them.
>
> Currently, while I mentioned that there are two servers serving time...I
> did not mention that they are windows domain controllers.  I think that may
> add other factors that need to be considered as well.  This is an
> environment that I'm getting up to speed on over the last 6 months.

You might consider replacing those with a couple of small linux or bsd
systems just there for serving the time. Windows is not the greatest
time platform, and a cheap (RPi with Sure gps) time server which is not
Windows and is not busy with other stuff might well be more consistant
and useful.

> The more I learn, the more I see how much I don't know ;-)   But knowing
> what I don't know is better than not knowing ;-)  I think ;-)

Always.