[ntp:questions] NTP.log interpretation

GregL greg.leibfried at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 16:13:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at linworks.de>wrote:

> (FWIW, ntpd does the DNS resolution *once* when loading its config and
> works with the one IP obtained from then on, plans of implementing
> automatic rotation/selection of "pool" servers in future versions
> notwithstanding. And having potentially disagreeing NTP servers put
> behind a V*IP* load balancer is discouraged as well.)

Forgive me for just double checking this point.

What you are saying is that if we are currently using a DNS load balancer
appliance to point 'ntp.host' to ntp1.host or ntp2.host (ntp1 unless it
fails, then to ntp2)....    that is really isn't doing us any good, because
that only dns lookup is only ever done when xntpd starts.   Once it gets
the IP address on startup, it always uses the numerical IP address to send
out it's UDP requests.   Is that correct?  Not even if the IP fails to
respond to requests, will it try the DNS lookup again?

Thanks!

-gregl