[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

mike cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Fri Apr 25 07:55:33 UTC 2014

Le 25 avr. 2014 à 08:34, William Unruh a écrit :

> On 2014-04-24, Montgomery, Peter         BIS <Peter.Montgomery at fs.utc.com> wrote:
>> I am new to NTP. But I have a quick question that I need to answer soon.
>>
>> I would like to know whether NTP can sync between a client and a server within 1ms if the client and server are Linux applications on a simple local network ( less than 10 nodes).
>>
> It can sync to 10 micro (not milli) seconds. Assuming Linux of BSD. For
> Windows apparently 1ms is more like it.

Hmmm.  I have a lightly loaded windows 7 client of a 1PPS disciplined server which only manages around 5ms and it is only 1 switch away. LInux clients do stay sync'd with offsets <<1ms. But only when reasonably loaded, or when the network is not saturated. It is quite easy to get into a situation where a <1ms client gets pushed above that.

While the answer to CAN is yes, the answer to WILL depends on local factors. If the OP needs to give an answer to a third party, say his boss, he should probably be asking him what the real requirements are first.