[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Apr 25 13:13:20 UTC 2014

Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at computer.org> wrote:
> On 04/24/2014 09:31 PM, Rob wrote:
>> "all that is required" to get PPS working is to fetch the source
>> package of ntpd for the distribution and recompile it while that
>> single file has been added.  e.g. on Ubuntu that file is present
>> in the package pps-tools.
>>
>> So please, on your build systems, make sure that the package
>> pps-tools or whatever other source used for timepps.h is installed
>> during the compilation of ntpd.
>>
>> It makes the use of PPS much easier, as one does not have to find
>> how to successfully compile a package from source on that particular
>> system.  And it will not be causing trouble when updates appear.
>
> The following bug report exists about this problem in Ubuntu's problem
> tracker.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntp/+bug/826873
>
> If this issue affects you, please visit that page and say so. This will
> raise the priority of the problem and the likelihood of it being fixed
> in the near term.

I have no account on that tracker yet but I see you have posted
a message already.  In fact I am a user of openSUSE which is similarly
affected, and found that the same problem exists in Ubuntu when I
was helping someone else to get PPS going on his Ubuntu box.
(I first had to find out how to compile a source package on Ubuntu)

Of course it is all caused by the failure to include timepps.h in the
kernel include file package, where they belong IMHO.  Apparently there
is unresolved debate about that.  Ubuntu puts this development related
file in the pps-tools package, and openSUSE does not have it at all.

I see this issue, which would be fixed by a single command on the
build system ("apt-get install pps-tools") has been open for 3 years,
and a dup of this issue was closed "because there was no response" :-(

In fact on Ubuntu there is another problem (not on openSUSE): the
ntp source package does not build correctly, it halts on compilation of
ntpd/refclock_jupiter.c because of -Werror=format-security.  There
is a patch in the package that is supposed to fix that, and changes
some instances of fprinf(stderr, message) to fprintf(stderr, "%s", message)
in other modules, but it does not include the patch for this file.
It is unclear to me how this bug can be present and the package can
still be distributed in binary form...