[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Fri Apr 25 14:51:25 UTC 2014

> I would like to know whether NTP can sync between a
> client and a server within 1ms if the client and server
> are Linux applications on a simple local network ( less
> than 10 nodes).

Yes, if simply go by the offset figure in NTP, you can usually get sub-millisecond figures between two machines. If you push your
"maxpoll" down some, like to 6 (64s) or even 4 (16s) then you can keep things nice and tight (this is for LAN traffic only, I
wouldn't do that on a remote Internet sever).

My local S2 machines typically even have a Root Dispersion under 2ms (usually closer to 1ms). Nothing to complain about there...