[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Fri Apr 25 21:46:39 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:36 PM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> Why shoul dit ship with no refclocks? ... DO you have the same opinion for
> serial
> port or parallel ports, or network drivers?

 (Ignoring your mischaracterization of what I said and the strawman
arguments) because a negligible number of time consumers have a refclock.
Back in the day I recall a distro that had ntp-client and ntp-server
packages  -- so I'm sure I'm not the first person to propose it.

 Kernel pps is used by enough people that it should be compiled in by
> default.

I think you engage in a great deal of idle speculation.  We have thousands
of clients served from three S2 servers (so 0% need for refclock support).
There are three S1 servers on campus (not yet in production).  All three
required building NTPd, one required a driver patch and one required
building a kernel.