[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Paul tik-tok at bodosom.net
Sun Apr 27 01:19:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM, William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> use the offset scatter as an estimate of the
> time performace (It is at least some sort of upper bound, but as I have
> said, not terribly accurate)

I suspect you shouting CANNOT is probably overstating the issue.  After all
if offset was of no value how would NTP (or any other offset based time
transfer system) work?
To the previous point -- if someone says "my offsets are always 10s of
microseconds" that is likely to be a refutation of the 'NTP can't do better
than 10s of milliseconds" position.

I don't know what "terribly accurate" might be to you but in the real world
sufficient accuracy depends on the circumstance.

Someone should conduct an experiment.