[ntp:questions] "Oneshot" time sync without risk of jumping time?

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Nulldevice at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Apr 27 12:59:20 UTC 2014

On 04/27/2014 11:37 AM, mike cook wrote:
>    use the tinker directive in the ntp conf file.
>
>     ex. tinker panic 600

Thank you for this information, but where is this documented? At least
my "man ntp.conf" doesn't know a "tinker".

$ ntpd --version
ntpd 4.2.6p5
ntpd 4.2.6p5 at 1.2349-o Tue Mar 11 04:36:06 UTC 2014 (1)

>      then use ntpd -gxq and it should slew up to the new panic value, exiting if a correction is needed which is greater.

The man page says:

| Normally, ntpd exits with a message to the system log if the offset
| exceeds the panic threshold, which is 1000 s by default.

So are you sure I need the "-g" switch if the normal behaviour is to
exit if the offset exceeds the panic threshold?

Greetings,

Manuel