[ntp:questions] Issues installing ntpd on Win 7

Tue Apr 29 01:37:14 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-28 17:53, A C wrote:
> Has anyone recently (within the last few months) tried installing the
> Meinberg compiled ntpd on Win 7 successfully?  I just built a new
> machine, put a clean copy of Win 7 on it, tried to install ntpd and
> ended up with the "unable to start" error (number 1053).  The ntpd user
> account was created, the service was installed, the directories were
> populated, the config file was generated but it wouldn't start.

Which release - current stable 4.2.6p5 - or previous?
Did you check to see if the process was already running under TaskManager all users processes?
Does the ntp userid have access rights to the config, log, and stats directories?
Are you running on W7 32 or 64 bit?
What is the output from the command:
reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NTP /s

It should look something like below but perhaps with more quotes and backslashes, different paths, and shorter ImagePath (service start command line):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NTP
     Type    REG_DWORD    0x10
     Start    REG_DWORD    0x3
     ErrorControl    REG_DWORD    0x1
     ImagePath    REG_SZ    "C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\bin\ntpd.exe" -g -M -s C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ -p C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.pid -l C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.log -f C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.drift -c "C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.conf"
     DisplayName    REG_SZ    Network Time Protocol Daemon
     DependOnService    REG_MULTI_SZ    Tcpip
     WOW64    REG_DWORD    0x1
     ObjectName    REG_SZ    .\ntp
     Description    REG_SZ    Synchronizes the local system clock to a reference time source and (eventually) provide this time to NTP and/or SNTP clients

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NTP\Parameters
     ConfigurationFile    REG_SZ    C:/ProgramData/NTP/etc/ntp.conf

If all else fails, try a restart, then an uninstall, then another restart, then another install, then maybe another restart.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis