[ntp:questions] Issues installing ntpd on Win 7

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Apr 29 07:33:23 UTC 2014

On 29/04/2014 06:35, A C wrote:
[]
> The original error messages were:
>
> A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Network
> Time Protocol Daemon service to connect.
>
> followed by
>
> The Network Time Protocol Daemon service failed to start due to the
> following error:
> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
> fashion.
>
> No other errors or warnings.
>
> It's running now, the logs show synchronization and the only error is
> regarding the ability to generate the .rnd file.

Thanks for that - although I'm no nearer to explaining the cause of the
original problem.

In my configuration, the .RND file is created in:

   C:\Tools\NTP\etc

so most likely the problem was due to accepting the defaults (i.e.
Program Files) in your first install.  I recommend:

   C:\Tools\NTP

rather than:

   C:\Program Files\NTP

where C:\Tools is a completely open directory.  The user typically needs
to edit the ntp.conf file for their own servers and logging needs.

--
Cheers,
David