[ntp:questions] Issues installing ntpd on Win 7

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Apr 29 10:14:36 UTC 2014

A C wrote:
> On 2014-04-28 22:23, David Taylor wrote:
>> On 29/04/2014 05:51, A C wrote:
>> []
>>> Followed the same instructions, no dice.
>>
>> .. and what are the messages in the Windows Event Log(s)?
>>

> The original error messages were:
>
> A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Network
> Time Protocol Daemon service to connect.
>
> followed by
>
> The Network Time Protocol Daemon service failed to start due to the
> following error:
> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
> fashion.
>
> No other errors or warnings.

Typical reasons for this behavior is if

- a DLL is not found
- the password for the user "ntp" doesn't match

In such case you can try to run "ntpd -n" in a command line window. This
runs ntpd as a usual program instead of a service.

If a DLL is missing then you will get an appropriate popup error message
telling which one.

If ntpd starts in this mode (i.e. the command prompt doesn't reappear
until you press Ctrl+C) but not as service then probably the ntp user's
password doesn't match.

The 4.2.6p5 package has been built with Visual Studio 2008, and even
though current Windows versions (AFAIK) usually install the VS2008
runtime by default, we have recently had a few reports where this wasn't
the case, and the VS2008 runtime had to be installed explicitely from
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29

Please note you need the 32 bit version (x86) of the VS2008 runtime even
on a 64 bit system since the Windows port of NTP actually can't be built
as native 64 bit application.

> It's running now, the logs show synchronization and the only error is
> regarding the ability to generate the .rnd file.

The .rnd file should be located in the etc\ subdirectory below the
installation directory, and usually the installer and ntpd should have
write access there.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki