[ntp:questions] Attn Linux distributors - pse include PPS

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Apr 29 10:29:07 UTC 2014

Paul wrote:
> We have thousands
> of clients served from three S2 servers (so 0% need for refclock support).
> There are three S1 servers on campus (not yet in production).  All three
> required building NTPd, one required a driver patch and one required
> building a kernel.

It would be interesting to know why it should be required to rebuild the
kernel.

At least for Linux I can only imagine that this was at a time where
neither nanosecond nor PPS support was provided by the standard Linux
kernel, and usually you had to apply Ulrich Windl's patches against the
vanilla kernel to get these features. Of course you had to rebuild the
kernel in this case.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki